Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Reflection Post #1- Conscious Discipline

Hi Blog Friends~
I am doing a series of posts on my reflections on this last school year (2014-2015).
I am doing it mostly for me, but I thought that some of you may benefit from it as well.


So, reflection #1 has to do with BEHAVIOR...
My school started Conscious Discipline right after the Winter Break. Here are my thoughts:

  1. It is a LOT of work!
  2. I like the philosophy of CD & I think it will be a good move for my school. It's just going to take a little time. My principal keeps reminding me that it is a marathon & not a sprint.
  3. It has some very valuable components that are perfect for my Title 1, high poverty, high ESL population school. I LOVE the problem solving skills that I am instilling, morning meetings, rituals, school family, & building a safe environment. My kiddos need ALL of these things. 
  4. It is a LOT of work!
  5. I am glad that I will start it at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year instead of in the middle of the year because I think that it will be easier to start with them from Day 1!
That being said, I have been thinking (& searching Pinterest) for things that I would like to incorporate to support the CD philosophy in my classroom. Here are some that I especially liked.
(You can click any of the pics to be taken to the original Pin)
Family Tree for Classroom... Good way to build a sense of classroom community by having each child fill out a piece of the tree.
I am thinking that I will have a tree similar to this in my SAFE PLACE with pics of my kiddos & their families. That way when they go there to calm down or to just feel safe, they will have something comforting to look at. :)

A true apology has three parts. #quotes #apology
The 3 parts of an apology! I worked REALLY hard to instill this in my kiddos this year. I am definitely incorporating it next year! It is a SUPER skill for all of us to have!! 

Chart for beginning of year--I tell my kids to problem solve all the time, so they can be more independent!
I am planning on making lots of charts like this- mine will need more pics! They just need to learn HOW to solve problems. They have never been taught & I think that this is a valuable tool not only in first grade, but for their entire lives! :)

So, there you have it!
 If you have any other suggestions, comments, information...PLEASE leave me a comment or shoot me an email! 

Thanks friends!! :)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the tree I want to do a version of that in my safe place too! Can't wait to make some CD resources with you as we start the school year off

midn said...

Conseils pour acheter une copie ici. Les Français passent beaucoup de temps à chercher pas cher moncler vestes sur Internet, il est donc facile d’acheter un bon produit pas cher moncler femmes gilet.

Post a Comment