Saturday, June 13, 2015

Reflection Post #1- Conscious Discipline

Hi Blog Friends~
I am doing a series of posts on my reflections on this last school year (2014-2015).
I am doing it mostly for me, but I thought that some of you may benefit from it as well.


So, reflection #1 has to do with BEHAVIOR...
My school started Conscious Discipline right after the Winter Break. Here are my thoughts:

  1. It is a LOT of work!
  2. I like the philosophy of CD & I think it will be a good move for my school. It's just going to take a little time. My principal keeps reminding me that it is a marathon & not a sprint.
  3. It has some very valuable components that are perfect for my Title 1, high poverty, high ESL population school. I LOVE the problem solving skills that I am instilling, morning meetings, rituals, school family, & building a safe environment. My kiddos need ALL of these things. 
  4. It is a LOT of work!
  5. I am glad that I will start it at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year instead of in the middle of the year because I think that it will be easier to start with them from Day 1!
That being said, I have been thinking (& searching Pinterest) for things that I would like to incorporate to support the CD philosophy in my classroom. Here are some that I especially liked.
(You can click any of the pics to be taken to the original Pin)
Family Tree for Classroom... Good way to build a sense of classroom community by having each child fill out a piece of the tree.
I am thinking that I will have a tree similar to this in my SAFE PLACE with pics of my kiddos & their families. That way when they go there to calm down or to just feel safe, they will have something comforting to look at. :)

A true apology has three parts. #quotes #apology
The 3 parts of an apology! I worked REALLY hard to instill this in my kiddos this year. I am definitely incorporating it next year! It is a SUPER skill for all of us to have!! 

Chart for beginning of year--I tell my kids to problem solve all the time, so they can be more independent!
I am planning on making lots of charts like this- mine will need more pics! They just need to learn HOW to solve problems. They have never been taught & I think that this is a valuable tool not only in first grade, but for their entire lives! :)

So, there you have it!
 If you have any other suggestions, comments, information...PLEASE leave me a comment or shoot me an email! 

Thanks friends!! :)


1 comments:

Kim Jarzombek said...

Love the tree I want to do a version of that in my safe place too! Can't wait to make some CD resources with you as we start the school year off

Post a Comment