Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, August 11, 2014

Finding Solutions!

So~ I have been back to school for 2 weeks & I am already noticing that some of my cuties need LOTS of extra practice with literacy skills. Even my grade level kids could use some brushing up on things like high frequency words, conventions, spelling, fluency, letter formation, etc. 
Well, I knew I had to do something to help my cuties along so I made a fun little packet. 
I use this packet for a ton of things! It can be a shared reading activity, interactive writing, comprehension activity, visualization activity, ...there are so many possibilities! 

**There are 10 passages in this packet & I use one passage for an entire week! **

It is helping my cuties so much & I'm only in my 2nd week of using it! 
Here is how it works:


On day 3, the students get there own copy of the passage to begin working with. I add these to their reading folders so that they have things that I KNOW they can read! 
They get such a big confidence boost because they are familiar with the passage & don't need any help reading them! 

Here is one format that I have for the passages:
(click the passage to try it out in your class!)

As you can see, in the beginning of the year, the passages are pretty simple! They are also topics that most kids have some background knowledge about. It's always good to get that schema activated & build those connections! 

So, you can see that this is a repetitive skill & fluency building activity!
 My kiddos LOVE to write on the chart. It has brought many rich discussions to our lessons.
 I just LOVE that it is super meaningful to them! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment