Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, September 8, 2013

My week in math...

I don't know why, but I am loving math centers this year! I am totally getting adjusted to our pacing guide & the CCSS for 1st grade. We are working REALLY hard on problem solving strategies! Here are how my centers looked this week...

Here, students choose a blue equation card. They solve the equation using cubes & tens frames. Then, they record the equation & the answer in their math journals. My are really finding it tricky when the answer box comes first, so I had a lot of cards in this format just to get them more comfortable with it! 


We had a really hard time using Think Addition. This is where you think of the subtraction problem as an addition problem. So instead of 8 take away 2, they would ask themselves, "if I have 2 how many more do I need to make 8"... This is super tricky, but they are getting it!! 


And, a little geometry...we are working on triangles & their defining attributes. They had to create triangles on their geoboards & record the creations on the recording sheets. I made them draw them EXACT. They had to make sure that the drawn triangles were on the exact same pegs as the created triangles. It was tricky, as you can see from the pic! 

You can get these triangle mats from Prekinders.com
Here they were creating a bigger shape by using the smaller shapes. They thought it would be a breeze to make the triangle 6 DIFFERENT ways...haha! I only had 7 kids that could make it 6 different ways. It was a great center that got those little brains fired up!

ANYWAY>>>>>>

I have JUST started literacy centers...it has taken me FOREVER to get used to my schedule & the fact my literacy center time is only about 15-20 minutes....makes it a little tough to get those puppies going! Hopefully, I will be able to post about them soon! 

Happy Sunday!!
Have a GREAT week!!

Don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin' & Google + & Facebook...the links are on the top right! Go ahead, do it, you know you don't want to miss anything!!

1 comments:

lorena said...

Thank you for sharing where you got the triangle mats. :)

Post a Comment